Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Topic: Curriculum Change

10-Second Review: One method for planning curriculum change.

Title: “Curriculum Change in English: A Process of Improvement by Cooperative Change.” JR Hancock. English Journal (April 1974), 46-48. A publication of the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).

Summary: Recommends a written policy on changing the curriculum.

Comment: As I am going through this particular journal, I am struck with the ideas and articles that have made significant suggestions for improving my performance as the K-12 language arts supervisor. At the time that I first read these articles, I underlined. I even occasionally annotated. But I never made use of these ideas when they could have improved not only my performance as a supervisor but the curriculum. Why didn’t I?

Too busy with everyday crises. I didn’t take time to reflect on ideas and problems. I needed then to do what I am doing now when it is too late. I needed to take the time to reflect on these ideas, as I am doing now, and to make recommendations for applying them, as I am doing now. I had established no systematic way to turn these ideas into real world improvements in the K-12 language arts curriculum.

Moral: Take not only the time to reflect on your teaching but on the ideas you encounter in the professional journals—in writing. In a journal.

Note: Part of the reason I am reviewing contemporary articles in “English Updates” (2008) and “English Education Archives” (1964-2007) is to tell what I’ve learned so that others can benefit from my ideas. I have made mistakes. I want the world of English education to know what they were, so they can benefit from what I have learned. RayS.

The purpose of this blog is to summarize articles on teaching English/language arts, from kindergarten through college, published in English education journals from the past.

No comments: