Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Topic: Encouraging Students to Read

10-second review: How to prepare a book talk.

Title: ‘Marketing Literature: Variations on the Book-talk Theme.” A C Shflett. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy (April 1998), 568-571. A publication of the International Reading Association (IRA).

Summary. Read the book. Find the hook that will cause students to want to read it. Make the talk about 3 to 5 minutes. Don’t give away the complete plot.

Uses as an example Jane Eyre. Explains the basic situation of being a governess for Mr. Rochester, a man with a secret. Scene: Jane in bed. A thunderstorm is roaring and crackling outside. And then the scream. Who was screaming? Mr. Rochester’s insane wife who, to keep her from hurting herself or others is locked away in the attic. What happens?

Comment: I think, if I were teaching again, I might divide my classes into three-week segments. During the first ten minutes of class, I would have the students write for ten minutes during one three-week segment. I might have a spelling test during the next three-week segment. I might have students resolve grammatical problems during the next three-week segment. And alternate reading aloud to the students and giving book talks during the fourth three-week segment. And I would finish class by having the students write a summary of the class or respond to a question related to what was covered in class. RayS.

This blog, English Education Archives, reviews articles of contemporary interest from past English education journals.

No comments: