Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Secondary School Topic: Reading and Writing Poetry

10-second review: Uses Edgar Lee Masters’ Spoon River Anthology as models for writing epitaph poems.

Title: “With Thanks to Edgar Lee Masters.” M Bramer. English Journal (September 1975), 39-40. Publication of the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).

Summary/Quote: “Some years I have had students write imaginary epitaphs for characters of their own invention; some years I have suggested they imagine their own ends and write personal epitaphs; some years I have encouraged staging one of Masters’ epitaphs.”

Comment: I enjoy reading The Spoon River Anthology. I can read it over and over again. There’s that little twist in each epitaph that makes me think. All those epitaphs add up to Life. RayS.

No comments: