Monday, April 19, 2010

Topic: Positive Statements about Reading



10-second review: The following statements express the values of reading.

Title: “Measuring Attitudes: An Extra Dimension.” LD Kennedy and RS Halinski. Journal of Reading (April 1975), 518-522.

Positive Statements about Reading and Its Purpose:

Reading helps me form opinions. Reading broadens my imagination. Reading helps me find a better way to communicate with people. I can learn much about my future from reading. Reading broadens my mind. I like to read to learn about people. Reading keeps me informed. Reading improves my vocabulary. Reading helps me understand problems that other people have.

Reading helps me understand my personal problems. Reading stimulates thought. Reading helps me to identify with people I want to like. I like to read about other people’s experiences in life. I sometimes become a character in the book I am reading. I like keeping up on new ideas. By reading I meet people and places I have never met before. Reading helps you think about things in a new way.

Comment: These statements reveal readers who have thought about why they read. Helping students understand why they read could change their attitudes toward reading. RayS.

No comments: